Pilot, Wife
and Expat life
what goes up, must come down

Thursday 4 August 2016

No conjecture here

Yesterday was a big day. My longest flight, heaviest take off and most amount of people on board. Added to that the news of the day and I think I can safely say it won't be a flight or a day I will forget in a while.



I am not going to guess or write what I think happened with yesterday's crash, I have my own ideas but I don't believe it helps anything and really it is impossible to know. We all know how ridiculous it sounds when newspapers or reporters try to guess, the article reads "they knew in advance they had a technical problem but didn't know anything was wrong, they told the tower they had a problem and the tower told them they had forgotten something, they tried to land while trying to go-around and it was definitely because of the wind or pilot error..." Yes, thanks for that enlightening article. I do wonder sometimes if the people writing this stuff actually read what they have written?? I think they are all just trying to be the person who "said it first" when really, if you say things in enough ways and say everything you can think of then of course you will have said the correct course of events first, along with 100 incorrect versions... go you, good day at the office...!

The video that I have seen from inside the cabin makes my blood boil on two accounts, one is that people are stopping to get their bags and blocking others from exiting the aircraft, if you want to kill yourself because your material possessions matter more to you than your life then go ahead, the world is probably better off without you, but don't you dare make that choice for anyone else. By blocking the aisle you are blocking people escaping and could ultimately decide their fate for them, what gives you the right to put your bags above the lives of countless other people. Although I sound annoyed about this ridiculous behaviour, I am actually more resigned to the fact that this is always going to happen, there are always going to be people grabbing their bags before they get off. Thats just a fact we are going to have to live with. Cabin crew are trained to take bags from people when they get to the door, the sharp edges and areas on bags could easily puncture an emergency escape slide, but in the heat of the moment half the time it's safer and less of a battle to just let them jump with it. I certainly wouldn't hang around playing tug of war with a passenger over a bag when dozens of other people are still trying to get out.

A note for future flyers... keep your passport ON YOU. Put it in a pocket, in your underwear, under your wig, I don't care where, just don't go rummaging around in the overhead bins looking for it when you need to evacuate. Laptops, clothes, phones etc can all be replaced, and so can passports but at least you have something that says who you are and it enables you to get home much more easily than having to apply for a replacement or getting emergency documents from your embassy. Just something to think about it at least.

My second issue with this video and the one that really has me questioning our humanity and obvious social issues is that this video is apparently (not confirmed) filmed by a mother of two who with the other hand is trying to push her two kids to the door and to safety.

Are. you. serious. 

I just cannot even start to make sense of this if this is true.
What has happened to people's priorities????? Excuse me while I get out my camera phone and film a burning aircraft while I half concentrate on pushing my kids in the right direction. Don't even get me started on her ZOOMING IN on the burning wing while still sitting on the slide!!!!! I watched the entire video yelling at the screen in exasperation and I have just screamed to myself again in frustration at the total lack of awareness, understanding or thought for the aircraft full of people trying to come down the slide behind you while you sit and refocus your camera. ARGH!

Rant over. I feel a little better now at least.

Huge kudos to the cabin crew for getting everyone out safely, you can hear the emotion and fear in one of the girls voices and despite that she remained professional and did exactly what she is trained to do. I read an article by some "expert" (if they don't say what this person is an expert in then I am instantly wary) who said "did they do well? no. They did their job". Honestly, is that really necessary? Yes they did their job but its the part of their job they hope never to have to deal with and that 90% or more will never have to do, so give them praise where praise is due. Did they do well? Yes, everyone out, no fatalities and in the end a very good outcome from what could have been a total disaster. Next time anyone moans about the cabin crew and their poor cups of tea remind them that service is their secondary job and that the person they are complaining about may well just be required to save a life later. Or maybe even 282 lives...

An eventful day and another incident that is a little too close to home, it does make you stand back and question yourself, your job, your attitude and really made me want to hug my girls and be at home with them. Unfortunately I will have to wait another 36 hours to do that.
Until then I am in the gym, diligently sticking to my C9 detox which I love and enjoying what this city has to offer. Although it's midnight now and I am about to have my lunch.. Jet lag anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments gratefully received!

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg