Pilot, Wife
and Expat life
what goes up, must come down

Saturday 2 July 2011

It's life Jim..

Since my rather odd departure from my job, I have felt a little lost for what to do. My life for the last 10 months has been defined by various flights backwards and forwards to Sweden and it feels a little strange not to have a date in the back of my mind that I have to prepare for.

Of course, I do have two large dates to prepare for as the countdown timers on the left show! I cannot believe that this time next month we will already be in the Middle East! Its fabulous and terrifying all at the same time. I have been home from Scandinavia now for a week and a half and we have been staying at my future mother-in-law's house. It has it's trials, the biggest being that it seems to turn S into the teenage version of himself and it is difficult to live with. He is constantly stressed and frustrated by various things in the house or with his family and it is like living with an elephant with a sore head. It is more than a little draining for me, trying to keep up with his feelings and not being able to truly relax. I always find it strange in someone else's house, you feel like you should always be offering to help or jumping up to do something and there is no option to ignore what is going on around you and just veg out for the afternoon!

Whilst here we have been doing a few bits in relation to our big move, we had to sort our licences out, get medicals done and we were both due a new passport so that involved a trip to London. It was actually a really nice day out, we went for afternoon tea at Harvey Nicks, wandered around Harrods, and even managed to catch a show in the evening! S wasn't sure about seeing "Chicago" but when all the ladies came out in their skimpy underwear and stockings, he seemed to enjoy it! He spent the next day practicing the "Mr Cellophane" sway too!



Today is the wedding of the Stag and Hen I mentioned earlier and it looks like it is going to be a fabulous day. S has already gone to the Stag's house and is no doubt starting to get nervous for his speech later on. I have now heard the speech a few dozen times and have almost lost where the funny parts are, a joke repeated that many times is never funny again but I will remind myself to laugh in the appropriate places as a good partner should. It is now quite evident to me that one of the worst people to be at a wedding is the best man's other half. You have already heard the speech, you get all the stress beforehand with jobs to do and general running around and then you spend most of the wedding on your own. S is not here this morning, I won't sit with him in the Church, I won't sit with him at the wedding breakfast and the first time we will be together today is once the meal is finished. I am going to keep this in mind for our wedding, and although the best man is single at the moment, if he does find a plus one, I will be sure to remember what it is like for her. At the moment, I am sort of hoping my wedding will be a bit of a cliche in that department, after all.. the Best Man and the Maid of Honour are both single...!

Once we have recovered from the weekend S and I are off to stay with my parents for a while. I can't wait! I feel like it has been ages and I am really excited to get home to see them. We have lots to do, some wedding planning, some bits for our move, but mainly we just want to spend time with the people we will miss most. I have had to remind S about this when he has got frustrated or stressed, this month is supposed to be about enjoying our time together and with our families and I am going to try and make the most of it with mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments gratefully received!

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg