Pilot, Wife
and Expat life
what goes up, must come down

Saturday 25 June 2011

"That's all folks!"

As I said in a previous post, leaving an airline can be a fairly large non-event and this one was no different. I had my last flight without even realising it was my last! I was due to work this sunday and had booked a flight back to Scandinavia in preparation for it. However, the more I looked at the weekend the more I realised going back was a pointless exercise. Not only would it be with a crew I didn't know, ending once again in a lonely hotel room that was going to cost me £90 but the cheapest flight back to the UK that I could find was over £300. Now that would be a seriously expensive last flight!

Luckily for me I have been saved at the 11th hour and no longer have to go back to do the flight, I have saved myself the best part of £400 and have an extra few days that I wasn't expecting. I think it hasn't settled in yet that I have actually finished and no longer have to worry about flights back, hotels there or how on earth I drag my belongings around! The relief is already starting to set in and I can feel my shoulders relaxing at last. All I can think is "about time too!!".

Today S and I joined my parents and travelled north to see my brother get awarded his service medal for his tour in Afghanistan. It was a wonderful day and I was so proud of him and all his squadron, they really did put on a great show and the support for them all was immense. Half the town turned out to clap and cheer, let alone all the families. The sun stayed out for the parade and medal giving and it only started raining when the Spitfire started its fly-by. It was really nice to have S there as it is the first time he has been to one of my brothers military events and I felt it really cemented him into our family. He showed great respect for my brother too and I love him even more for that. It is armed forces day today and I can only imagine how many people are out celebrating with their loved ones, it was a fabulous day, but it does get you thinking about those who maybe weren't as lucky. My thoughts go out to those commemorating and not celebrating today, I hope never to be in your shoes.

So, in short, my Scandinavian life ends, my brother gets a medal and I get to start my month off a week early! All in all, a pretty great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments gratefully received!

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg