Pilot, Wife
and Expat life
what goes up, must come down

Thursday 9 June 2011

Race to the finish

Well, this is it. The final stint in Scandanavia. In 18 days time I will be flying back to the UK for the last time. I literally cannot wait. It has been a long, lonely and heart-breaking 10 months and now that the end is in sight it is even harder to be back here.

Let me catch you up on the last few weeks as lots has happened and as with any story it is always better to start at the beginning!
After S's birthday we were separated again as he had to go back to work and I had various appointments that kept me away. He flew his last flight with his current company and although he said he was happy to be finished, I know that the years there and the people have meant a lot to him and I was so delighted that the crew joined him in a little party afterwards in the crew room. I know what it is like to leave a company you love, there is no fanfare, no big farewell and you may not even fly with someone you know! Your last flight finishes and you slip away without leaving so much as a ripple on the surface.

Now that he has finished, S has nearly two months off before he departs for the desert and once I finish here, I will have July off with him. It is going to be like suddenly being allowed to eat chocolate after lent. A whole month together!!! I know it will be strange at first but I am so looking forward to getting back into our routines and being a proper couple again.

A few weekends ago we had a stag/hen weekend with our friends who are due to get married in July, the boys went off to Dublin for a weekend of golf, gambling and guiness and the girls stayed closer to home with a night of Greek plate smashing and improper waiters. Unfortunately the weekend started badly, I won't bore you with the details but the short story is that some of the boys decided the stag do started a night early and completely disregarding the couples pre-made plans, launched a fairly abusive attack on the hen until she had no choice but to back down and cancel so that the stags so-called friends could lead him on a wild goose chase that left him stranded on his own in a city. They didn't follow him or take pictures and they never planned to be there at the end, to me it sounded like the most idiotic and childish thing to do, especially as the stag specifically asked not to end up alone. So why would anyone think it was funny to do something to a friend that you know full well he hates? Not only that but how dare they be so rude to the hen. I made my feelings about it very clear and have already said that if the same happened next year at S's stag the "friends" would no longer be welcome at the wedding. Why should they come and celebrate two people deciding to spend their lives together if they clearly have so little respect for one half of the couple?

The hen do was eventful in itself, I don't believe you can put 28 women together and there not be issues. One of the reasons I have always been much happier to have male friends! By the time a fight broke out behind us in a club and someone pulled out a knife, I decided it was time for the hen and I to go home! I would struggle to find 28 people to invite to a hen let alone that many female's so I don't see me having the same problems she did. You have to love an alcohol induced sob fest at the end of the night though..

So that would wrap up the first week or so nicely which is where I will stop for now, I'll tell you about the afternoon tea, croquet and the dreaded packers in my next update. Imagine a BBC presenter's voice and "stay tuned"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments gratefully received!

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg