Pilot, Wife
and Expat life
what goes up, must come down

Saturday 26 March 2011

365 Days

A year ago today, the man of my dreams asked me to marry him, and I asked if he was taking the piss!
I thought it an appropriate day to share our story!

We took a wonderful two week holiday to the Maldives, a small island in a northern Atoll that can only be described as a slice of paradise. We had a room facing the ocean and a week of strolling around the island, scuba diving and letting the world pass us by. It turned out that the hotel had two sides to the island, if our side was paradise, then the other was heaven. It had rooms on stilts in the ocean, butler service and stairs down from your private deck straight onto the reef. You could choose to upgrade to this side, even for only a night, and we thought it would be nice to try. We organised to move over for two nights and I was blissfully happy!! What I didn't know is that S had actually organised to stay in this Maldivian heaven for the entire last week of our holiday. We had our butler bring us lunch on our terrace, went snorkelling every day and I was totally unaware of what was going to happen.



One evening on our way to dinner our butler turned up on the beach. It wasn't strange as he had a habit of turning up whenever we left our room and seemed to have an instinctive knowledge of where we would be or what we might want next. However, on this occasion he said "would you like to follow me?" and pointed in the opposite direction to the dinner hut. S didn't seem remotely surprised and so I blindly did as I was told. We were shown to the private pool area where a single table was set for dinner, overlooking the infinity pool and the sparkling ocean. It was beautiful. I was really sad that I didn't have my camera with me, and S being the amazing guy he is, went back to the room to get it. While he was gone I stopped the table wobbling by placing a small rock under one of the legs, I also ran around to the other side of the pool to take pictures (with his camera) of the table. When he returned, the butler served us a fabulous 5 course meal and I felt like the star in some sort of Hollywood movie.



S asked if I wanted to take a wander around the pool and when we got to the other side, he got down on one knee and asked if I would be his wife. It was like a dream, the perfect setting, well thought out and a total shock to me. So my first answer probably wasn't what he was expecting and certainly wasn't very lady like! I was so taken aback, I asked if he was taking the piss! Not my proudest moment and one that will take a while to live down! I, of course, eventually got around to the expected answer and he presented me with the most gorgeous ring I have ever laid eyes on.

Looking back at the photos, it is no wonder my man was distressed during dinner when I mentioned I had fixed the table and taken some pictures. If you look closely, the ring box is sitting at the base of the table leg on his side and the little pink corner is shouting out to be discovered.
As it was, I had no idea, and I had another 3 days in heaven to hug the secret to myself before flying home and breaking the news to our families. Although, as I said, being the amazing man he is.. My dad had already been asked. Perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments gratefully received!

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg